Voter Information/Running for Local Office
Running for Office
- What do I do if I want to run for City Council or Mayor?
- Anyone interested in being a candidate for City Council or Mayor must be at least 18 years of age, be a registered voter in the City for at least one year, and submit nominating petitions with a minimum of 50 valid signatures of registered voters within the City of Fenton, accompanied by an Affidavit of Identity.
- Affidavits and Petition forms are available at the Clerk's Office at City Hall.
- Although 50 valid signatures is the required amount to become a candidate, it is recommended that the potential candidate obtain more than 50 signatures, but no more than 100 signatures, to avoid complications.
- Please visit the following link for more detailed information regarding running for Mayor or City Council:
- What do I do if I want to run for a position on the School Board?
For those interested in becoming a School Board candidate, you may pick up your filing forms at the Genesee County Clerk's Office in Flint. The County Clerk's Office will be responsible for receiving filing fees or nominating petitions and affidavits of identity from potential School Board candidates.