Voter Registration/Running for Local Office

  • How do I register to vote?
    If you are a resident of the City of Fenton, you may register to vote by bringing proper identification with you such as a Driver's License or a Michigan ID card. You may also register to vote at any Secretary of State's office.  A printable voter registration form is available by clicking on the following link

As an alternative, if you are not in possession of proper identification, election law allows for the  following form to be completed and submitted with your voter's registration form  This for will be provided to you by a member of the Clerk's office staff if needed.

  • What are the requirements to register to vote?
    • You must be a citizen of the United States of America
    • You must be a resident of the State of Michigan, in addition to being a resident of your local community for at least thirty days prior to the election.
    • You must be at least 18 years of age by election day.
  • Where do I register to vote?
    You may register to Vote at Fenton City Hall or your local Secretary of State's office.
  • What do I do if I lost my Voter ID Card?
    Contact your local Clerk and they will be able to issue a new Voter ID Card.
  • What do I do if I change my address?
    Michigan's Motor/Voter law requires that the address on your Driver's License matches the address where you are registered to vote. Anytime you move to a new City or Township you must re-register to vote. If you make a move within your current City or Township, it is vital that you update your address. You may make these changes at the Secretary of State's Office if you are moving outside of the City of Fenton, or update your new address within the City of Fenton at City Hall. The Secretary of State's office will notify us if you have changed your address so we can update our records. Please include all P.O. Boxes and Apartment numbers, in order to avoid confusion later.
  • When is the last day to register to vote before an election?
    Any citizen must be registered to vote thirty days prior to the upcoming election. 
  • Where do I vote?
    All residents of the City of Fenton will vote at the St. John's Activity Center, located at 600 North Adelaide Street, Fenton, Michigan, 48430. Residents of all five Precincts of the City will all vote in the same above-mentioned location for EVERY election. You may only vote in the precinct in which you live. If you are not sure what precinct you reside in, contact the Clerk's Office at (810) 629- 2261 and someone will be happy to assist you. You may also log on to the State's website at  in order to determine your location as well.
  • What if I am a first time voter?
    If this is the first time you are voting in the State of Michigan and you have registered by mail, you MUST appear in person to vote for your first election. This requirement does not apply if:
    • You or another person hand delivers the mail registration form to your County, City or Township Clerk's office instead of mailing the form
    • You are 60 years of age or more.
    • You are disabled.
    • You are eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act.
  • What do I do if I am currently outside of the US but have established residency in the City of Fenton?
    If you are temporarily outside of the United States, you may use a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) form to register. The FPCA forms are distributed through U.S. Embassies and military bases. A Michigan resident who moves and registers out of state may not re-register to vote in Michigan until he or she re-establishes residency here.

Running for Office

  • What do I do if I want to run for City Council or Mayor?
  • Anyone interested in being a candidate for City Council or Mayor must be at least 18 years of age, be a registered voter in the City for at least one year, and submit nominating petitions with a minimum of 50 valid signatures of registered voters within the City of Fenton, accompanied by an Affidavit of Identity.
  • Affidavits and Petition forms are available at the Clerk's Office at City Hall.
  • Although 50 valid signatures is the required amount to become a candidate, it is recommended that the potential candidate obtain more than 50 signatures, but no more than 100 signatures, to avoid complications.
  • Please visit the following link for more detailed information regarding running for Mayor or City Council:

  • What do I do if I want to run for a position on the School Board?
    For those interested in becoming a School Board candidate, you may pick up your filing forms at the Genesee County Clerk's Office in Flint. The County Clerk's Office will be responsible for receiving filing fees or nominating petitions and affidavits of identity from potential School Board candidates.
Call Us At (810) 629-2261