Stop, Drop and Roll is used to teach people what to do if their clothing catches on fire. Although this technique is usually taught in school, children who aren't in school yet can still learn fire safety, and how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches on fire.
- Explain to your child you are going to go over some fire safety lessons, and that you are going to teach them what to do if their clothes ever catch fire.
- Teach your child that Stop, Drop and Roll can save their life if their clothes ever catch on fire.
- Tell your child that if their clothes ever catch on fire, they need to stop whatever they are doing and drop to the ground.
- Demonstrate to your child how to drop and then roll.
- Teach your child to cover their mouth and nose while rolling, to protect their airways from damage.
Practice Stop, Drop and Roll at home with your child. Tell them that if they see anyone else's clothes catch fire, to yell, "Stop, Drop and Roll" and to find an adult and call 911.