Fenton, MI: The City of Fenton approved the 2023 Watermain Improvement Program at the April 3, 2023, City Council meeting awarding Waldorf & Sons, Inc. based out of Mt. Morris, the contract. Waldorf & Sons is the current contractor doing utility work and street reconstruction for year one of the Local Streets Program in the numbered streets subdivision and has over 40 years of experience in underground excavation projects. Waldorf & Sons was the lowest qualified bidder at a cost of $ 2,778,868.00.
The project will include replacement of watermain on State Road from the western city limit to S. Holly Road, N. East Street from First Street to Ninth Street, and Oak Street from W. Rockwell to W. Elizabeth Street.
A preconstruction meeting was held on April 28th where a construction schedule was provided. Listed is the schedule for each project area.
State Road (western city limit to S. Holly Road)
- 3,600 lineal feet of 12-inch replacement watermain.
- Staging for the project will begin the week of May 22nd when traffic control and materials will be arriving at the site.
- Traffic Control: State Road will be open to one-way southbound traffic from S. Holly Road to the western city limits. This will allow work on the roadway where the existing and new watermain are located. The date when one-way traffic will begin will be announced at a later time.
- Detour Route: State Road will be open for one-way southbound traffic during construction. The posted detour route is Hartland Road to White Lake Road to Denton Hill/Adelaide to S. Holly to State Road southbound (map attached).
- Watermain completion is planned for September 1st. Road paving will immediately be followed by a separate paving contractor.
N. East Street (First Street to Ninth)
- 3,200 lineal feet of 8-inch replacement watermain.
- Roads will remain open to local traffic with Oak Street recommended as the alternate north-south travel route.
- Watermain work is scheduled to begin the week of June 5th with substantial completion by September 1st.
- Street paving will immediately follow by a separate contractor who will be paving all local streets associated with year two of the Local Streets Program.
Oak Street (W. Rockwell to W. Elizabeth)
- 400 lineal feet of 8-inch replacement watermain.
- Roads will remain open to local traffic with S. Leroy or S. Pine recommended as the alternate north-south travel routes.
- Work is planned to start the week of July 10th with substantial completion by September 1st.
- The watermain work is primarily on the east side of the roadway where street replacement will not be necessary.